Singing A New (Life) Song To The Lord
In this second part about worship, I will be sharing about singing new songs unto God and my self-defined categories of songs.
Seven times in the Bible, “singing a new song” to the Lord (Isaiah 42:10, Psalms 33:3, Psalms 40:3, Psalms 96:1, Psalms 98:1, Psalms 144:9 and Psalms 149:1) was mentioned.
Perhaps you belong to the group of people who believe that only praise and worship bands like Hillsongs, Planet Shakers and YouthAlive! are able to create and sing new songs. In one aspect, you are right. In another aspect, you are wrong. Confused? We have to understand my two self-defined categories of songs to answer this question.
My first self-defined category of songs is called a life song. A life song is a personal song that you sing to God about and from your life. It is often different from other life songs other people sing because of different personalities, backgrounds and circumstances we are have. People might not relate to this kind of song but it can tell people of how God helps us despite all our different personalities, backgrounds and circumstances.
An example of this can be found in Revelations 14:3-4,
They sang as it were a new song before the throne, before the four living creatures, and the elders; and no one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who were redeemed from the earth.
These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb.
It fits under the musical genre of Christian Contemporary Music but life songs are not a genre of music.
A life song, in essence, is a song we write and/or sing to God individually. It is a song the Holy Spirit inspires every believer and worshipper to sing. It is a personal song, between you and God, which does not put in consideration whether other people might understand what you are singing.
God calls us all to worship Him with our life songs. This is half of what “singing a new song” to Him means.
Let us look at some Bible verses that support the view that ordinary people leading ordinary lives with no part in worship ministry can worship God with new songs.
Psalms 96:1 exhorts(encourages, stirs and spurs on) us to,
Oh, sing to the LORD a new song!
Sing to the LORD, all the earth.
All seven verses mentioning ‘singing a new song’ were used by the worship leaders who made the songs to exhort(encourage, stir and spur on) ordinary worshippers to release a free flow of worship and praise that is new, refreshing and uniquely shaped after their personalities, backgrounds and circumstances..
Let’s take a look at one of God’s principles in creation. He loves variety and made every part of us unique, whether it’s something as small as our fingerprints or as important as our DNA.
He made all kinds of creeping things, birds, cattle, sea creatures and beast. He did not despise cockroaches, mice and lizards but took pleasure in them as well. If not, He would not have created them in the first place. This tells us that no gift of worship is small or despised in His eyes.
Robots are made in assembly lines in batches of more than 2 while every God-created being is an exquisite and uniquely crafted art piece.
Animals follow their instincts and none in the animal kingdom has intellect and creativity equal to that of a human being.
In all of His creation, there is nothing as close to perfection as our human make-up. We were made in the image of God and even angels do not have that privilege. The Bible says God has made us a little lower than angels (Hebrews 2:9). What a privilege that God considers us such even after the Fall!
He made everything about us different from everything in this world that we might offer up to Him worship only humans, not robots, angels or animals, can give out of free will in difficult circumstances with a creative mind.
If our God is an awesome God and we are made in the image of His awesomeness, then our life songs to Him should be awesome. There is no doubt that we can sing unto Him a life song that is not small, despised, unoriginal or lacking in content.
Are you worried? Sing out your worries but include your faith in Him who cares for you. Sing a prayer to Him to prove Himself faithful because you had faith in His character. Are you cheerful? Then do what James 5:13b instructs,
Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms.
Most of the Psalms were life songs of David. On bad or good occasions, David sang his life songs in bad or good moods. Are you singing your life song, filled with negative and positive emotions and faith in Him? Be naked about all your troubles, sins, trespasses, trials, fears, worries and depression and be unashamed because you believe in a God who can save. All in all, let the joy of the Lord be your daily strength.
Can’t play an instrument? David was in the pastures tending sheep daily. He sang acapella, clapped, jumped and danced. Remember that a life song is inspired by the Holy Spirit. Pray, dedicate your life to Him and sing sincerely and freely in faith.
I cannot really teach you technically how to make a life song. But what I will do is show you an example of one of my life songs. I wrote this song after I was removed from leadership.
Having been removed because of a stronghold, I lost the joy of salvation like David expressed in Psalms 51. I sang this song in faith. I did not see comfort until two months later. This song encapsulated my desperate hunger for forgiveness and my never-say-backslide stand.
Acknowledgements to Jonathan Huang Mu En for the chords of this song, Xin Long for blessing me with the microphone, REAPER audio software programmers that made recording possible and finally Garageband.com for its free podcast hosting service. Of course, I thank God above all for His inspiration.
I will write about Body songs, my second self-defined category of songs, in my next entry. Meanwhile, I hope this song edifies you, definitely not by my voice but by the lyrics. Click on Menu in the player to select "Take Me Away". I will posting up my other completed songs, about 15, soon. Check for updates and do provide me with comments/constructive criticism.
“Take Me Away” by the Holy Spirit through James Lin Yuxi
Verse 1:
My heart was broken, my joy stolen
Bound in chains I couldn’t break by myself
Then You showed me Your grace is sufficient
Now I’m free I’ll never be the same again
Chorus:
Take me away, take me today quietly to the secret place
Where we are alone and all I can hear is Your gentle whisper in my ear
Draw me closer, draw me deeper right into Your amazing grace
Till I finally see that Your love for me is far above all my depravity
Verse 2:
All hope was lost, my faith tossed
By the raging winds that never seemed to stop
Then You rebuked the storm and it ceased
Now I stand with my hands in the air
Bridge:
I will never give up
I will lift my hands up
I will bow, I will sing
To worship You, my King
Journey with Jesus
Loud. Fun-loving. Punny.
Sporty. Pessimistic introvert.
Pop music lover. Guitar-wielding songwriter.
Bubbles and Faerie Uni fan.
Loves the colour red.
Fussy eater. Biography reader.
No comments:
Post a Comment