I don't usually blog girly posts with loads of pictures and comments, especially after such a long hiatus from blogging. And this is the first time I'm using the word 'hiatus', learning from my female comrades in the blogging network.
But I have decided today will be the day that I emulate Becky's web journalism style, after how sweet she and the other members of Elite Communication(my polytechnic project group) have been in putting serious and sincere thought in planning a birthday surprise for me.
I met them for a casual dinner on 12th January at Marina Square's Kenny Rogers restaurant, not expecting them to remember my birthday. We had a jolly dinner and talk about the boys' suffering in the army and the girls' enjoyment in university.
Out of the blue, they presented me a really cute handcrafted birthday card.
They then surprised me with a colourful box with heart shapes and a out-of-place 'Caution' sticker, which by no means fooled me into being cautious.
Inside this Pandora's box were lots of chocolatey delights picked with love and utmost taste, plus a Converse voucher.
I was really touched by their generous gesture. They even treated me to dinner and sang "Happy Birthday" over a slice of Secret Recipe Macadamia cake. Lastly, we headed to Starbucks before handing home.
I really appreciate their efforts as I had done nothing to merit this. I don't feel I've been through much of their 'thickness' with them. They are really good friends that I treasure.
They had even planned to snail mail me the package as I was not supposed to book out that Saturday. I just want to say that I felt real special and loved. So, much thanks to Becky, Jesslin, Mei Hui, Aizat and Yong Sheng!
I also want to thank my cellgroup Nissi Knights for planning such a special birthday celebration for me. It was a Powerpuff Girls themed celebration with people imitating characters in the cartoon and saying stuff from the script.
And these were their gifts. I am so going to be the king of games in army. I own both Uno and Monopoly travel packs now. Thank you, Kenneth Yeo also, for the Swensens voucher!
Thank you, Walter and Zhi Hao, my best-ever secondary school buddies, for hanging out together that night. I also want to thank the countless well-wishers who sent me sweet messages via SMS. It made it a real special birthday.
Nowadays, I'm caught in a love-hate relationship with the army. I'm actually really committed to serving this country by doing national service but sometimes I just feel real tired and disconnected with my home, my friends and the world.
You may find it funny why I am actually glad doing national service. But I do feel it's not too unreasonable a contribution. I feel we're privileged to have a chance to give something to this country after all it has given and blessed us with.
This service costs little on our part(not including opportunity costs) and it is greatly appreciated by Singapore. It happens to have many benefits for our well-being, health and character.
Not to mention, it's a good time to think about what you're gonna do with your life. And no, I'm not planning to sign on or be an army spokesman. I'm just happy to do my part for this country because I know this is what God wants me to do for now.
I know some Christians wish they had a 8-5 vocation or would be able to come to church every week. That's what I wish too but sometimes certain sacrifices have to be made. So instead of sulking, I'm just putting all of me into guarding my base.
Well, I just want to share some of my thoughts regarding the army and what it does to boys that makes us emerge from our chrysalis of boyhood into the harsh world of manhood.
In the army, isolation shows you who you truly are and reveals your once-hidden selfishness around strangers you're not trying too hard to please or befriend.
Also, isolation quickly exposes your weaknesses as all our sources of help is cut off. I never realised how much I need people in my life before this.
National service is the Great Equaliser that makes all men accept one another regardless of their differences. A gangster could actually talk civilly to nerds or even weird people in camp.
We gain knowledge of a diversity of cultures, hobbies and subject matters. We see all types of people and become a better judge of character of men in ways women could never be, until they get married to the guy.
Trust me, after I met some guys in the army, I highly doubt if even half of the unmarried women in Singapore are virgins. Their stories usually include many willing and disillusioned victims, and a surprising number from churches.
It is also the Great Divider that sets men apart from women by keeping them in touch with harsh reality, discipline and aggressiveness. This is when men learn that life is hard and that we have to be much stronger than before.
We are trained to fulfill only basic needs and become less attached to our comfort zones. It's when material wants become insignificant and family is cherished. This is where we differ from women most. We have a larger threshold for discomfort.
It is a time when a man finds his self-worth amidst a crowd of shaven heads, standardized uniforms and a bruised esteem. He joins a group of men where shared experiences forge an irrevocable identity and memory. He will find pride in defending his country and wearing green in a way he never felt before.
He'll discover the value of time and learn to treasure it above all else. He becomes a little more efficient and a lot more impatient. He learns to be more confident, skillful and decisive. He becomes less spoilt and more independent.
Well, that's about the major things I've learnt.
Currently, I'm in a guard unit and the duty schedule is real crazy. I miss two weekends a month, am on a week-long guard duty routine fortnightly and my holidays get eaten(to be repaid during off-duty periods).
I spent the eve and first day of New Year in camp looking at fireworks from afar. But I got to see red flares like those from the "Starlight" music video of Muse. They were really pretty, suspended in the air like UFOs for minutes.
This job is not without its occuptional hazards. We wake up at ungodly hours to do duty and thus, have irregular sleep. And we stand up straight, with little adjustments, for long hours in the sun.
Coupled with the fact that we don't exercise much and go to sleep immediately after eating, the result is a fat build-up. I never knew I could gain weight until I entered this unit.
Night is the same as day, a weekday the same as the weekend and a holiday the same as a working day. Time no longer matters; it is just a reference you use to estimate the hours you have left to sleep till your next duty. And I'm going to miss the first one-and-a-half days of Chinese New Year.
Well, I changed the lyrics of the familiar tune of "Superman (It's Not Easy)" for my guard training unit's celebration night. I felt that a soldier is sometimes a parallel of Superman, for all that we go through.
I want to dedicate this song to girlfriends of those serving the army and I hope they'll understand our plight. I don't have a girlfriend but I'm just putting myself in my buddies' shoes.
I'm not a great singer or songwriter but I felt this is an apt song for the girlfriends of army men to hear. Sorry for the last part of the bridge, which sounds awful. I couldn't bother recording it again.
"(Soldier) It's Not Easy" by James Lin Yuxi
I can't bear to stand
So many hours a day
But when I think of you
Even the night seems a brighter day
I'm more than a soldier beside a gate
I'm also your boyfriend with a cutey face
I feel lucky to be me
Wish that I could spend
Lots of time with you
But when my weekends are burnt
So are my weekends with you
It may sound absurd, but don't be naive
Even boyfriends serve the army
I may not be there, but when I am
I promise I'll take you to Wonderland
It's not easy to be me
Don't go away, away from me
I won't be alright
You're all I need in my life
I'm not kidding or anything
I can't bear to stand
So many hours a day
But time just seems to fly
When you're all I crave
I'm only a man who's doing his job
Guarding this nation with many sobs
I'm only a man who loves his girl
Give me time to show you love
It's not easy to be me
James's New Jokes(Funny) and Riddles(Not so funny)
1. Which band do weak army recruits listen to?
Ans: Fallout Boy(Falling out is an army term for ceasing to participate in an activity due to injury)
2. Who killed the Coco Crunch Koala and the Honey Stars Spacebear? (Inspired by my disciple Ian and crafted by me)
Ans: The Cereal Killer
3. Why did the dumb blonde put the New York Times into the refrigerator?
Ans: She wanted to keep the news fresh
No comments:
Post a Comment