Journey with Jesus

Loud. Fun-loving. Punny.
Sporty. Pessimistic introvert.
Pop music lover. Guitar-wielding songwriter.
Bubbles and Faerie Uni fan.
Loves the colour red.
Fussy eater. Biography reader.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

EMBRACING MY INNER MUT - MUSIC LAB STUDENT PERFORMANCE @ CRAZY ELEPHANT (190709)

Photobucket

Last weekend passed by like a dream. I had been practising with my music school band mates twice a week for the past 3 weeks for exactly 10 minutes of micro stardom. And the experience sure didn't disappoint, especially when you've got a band that plays the song like the CD. This was my first time practising and playing with a real, decent band who makes the music tight and absolutely awesome. It just inspires and drives you to perfect your singing however much you can.

My dear friend Zhuo Xin Yong came over on Sunday to return some stuff he borrowed. It must be the jitterbugs that caused me to have a sudden urge to initiate going for a run. Sportingly, he accompanied me on a leisure run from my house to Admiralty Park. Next, I had the 'good' idea of having a tasteful and measured swig of Bailey's and Absolut, hours before my performance. Okay, maybe it was just the butterlies in my stomach yearning for some liquid courage. Look what liquid courage did to me!

Photobucket

Haha, I love this classic 'Clubber' pose. And to think I've only gone thrice. I guess there's an inner clubber in all of us; it just takes different amounts of alcohol to reveal it. I am so close to creating a 'What type of clubber are you?' Facebook quiz.

Photobucket

I'm not drunk... I'm spinning a turntable like a DJ."

The pictures above show how I totally suck at drinking. Which is good when you have to take a one-hour MRT ride dressed totally in red and ignore the attention from puzzled commuters. Well, let's just say I've had quite a fair bit of practice in the past anyway. The trick is to just imagine that you're invisible. Or alternatively, get drunk and travel to your little Lala Land where there's nobody else but you.

Photobucket

Making stupid poses to get into the groove and then... Off I went to Clarke Quay without a fear in the world, like Bruce Lee.

I have learnt to relax and take things easy after having vocal lessons. I used to think being anxious put me on top of my game or one step ahead, being forewarned and pre-armed. But I realised a lot of things in life are accomplished well when you're relaxed and at ease. I knew that if I screw up during my performance, it'll not be due to a lack of practice or singing ability, but because I was nervous. So I decided to just have fun that day and not practise.

When you're about to perform, think of yourself not as a rockstar but as a person fulfilling the role of one. Who you are personally is of little significance; people came to see someone with a mask and alter ego. It's just like when you're about to make a presentation, don't think about whether you're good at it or not. People came to hear the presentation contents, not to appreciate the tone of your voice or how articulate you are. Deliver the message. Deliver what is promised. Deliver what's expected. YOU DO NOT EXIST.


Photobucket

My band chilling out before the performance. Joel [Chords], Me, Ivan [Bassist] and Ser Lu [Drummer](From left to right). And these talented youngsters are all below 18 while I am 22. Which goes to show you're never too old to pursue your dreams.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have to thank my Al Taahid brothers Walter and Zhi Hao for gracing the event and taking such awesome photographs. Of course, also Alyssa who came down for this amateurish performance. You guys made this memorable for me.

Photobucket

Playing 'How Far We've Come' by Matchbox 20. This is the song I chose and it was our best performance too.

Photobucket

Unlike screamo-emo rock songs like 'Plug In Baby' by Muse.

Photobucket

Alas, all good things have to come to an end. I'm eternally grateful to Music Lab for the exposure and experience. I'll be even more grateful if they could upload the performance videos soon. But as for now, I'll have to settle for a shaky and badly taken handphone recorded video. 'Thanks', sister.

No comments:

skeletons in my closet