Journey with Jesus

Loud. Fun-loving. Punny.
Sporty. Pessimistic introvert.
Pop music lover. Guitar-wielding songwriter.
Bubbles and Faerie Uni fan.
Loves the colour red.
Fussy eater. Biography reader.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Journey Back To Jalan Jendela - The Street of Windows


Photobucket

I had been desiring to go back to Jalan Jendela for quite some time now. It is the estate of the semi-detached terrace house I had lived in for more than two years, from my polytechnic days to the days of my national service.

Photobucket

So I went back last Sunday with Zhi Hao and had a really great time revisiting this little-known beautiful neighbourhood. Photography makes you pay attention to the beauty of little things you usually overlook or could not bother to care about.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Situated in Kranji, Jalan Jendela literally means the 'Street of Windows'. It is a peaceful, quiet and dangerous place at the same time. Yet, I fondly remember the joy of living in this well-hidden and secluded neighbourhood in the midst of industrial factories, the Zoo, the Turf Club and the War Memorial.

Photobucket

Down these high-gradient slopes of death, I would hop on my trusty skateboard for cheap thrills and desperate amusement, to the protest of the people-wary dogs of the neighbourhood. They would bark their heads off at anyone who so even dares to encroach within 50m of the gates they guarded.

Photobucket

A classic example of a small dog whose bark is larger-than-life.

Photobucket

"What the bark are you looking at?"

Photobucket

Of course, there's the occasional well-mannered dog of noble pedigree.

Photobucket

The authorities have even taken mugshots of dogs with disciplinary issues. The Bull Terrier looks like some modern day Robin-Hood pirate who robs the rich to feed the poor. The Dogo Argentino looks so guilty even before standing trial. This is such a cute notice sign by NParks.

After that, we headed down to the War Memorial to take more pictures and remember the soldiers who sacrificed themselves during WWII. It was a really meaningful and thought-provoking trip that made me admire these brave young men who did what was required of them to preserve the survival of their countrymen, despite having to pay the ultimate cost for it - their very own right to live.

Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket

I wonder what I would have done if I was a soldier, fighting the Japanese invaders alongside these brave young men. Would I have chosen to become a traitor, deserter or a patriot? How did these men find the strength to fight their physical enemies when they were battling hunger, fear and self-defeat?

Perhaps it is as Nerina Pallot said, that 'when you go through times in your life that are going to be testing, you find the strength that is unassailable.'

Photobucket


Photobucket


Looking at the inscriptions on the glorious white tombstones was an enlightening and spiritual experience. The words were so beautiful, dignified and reassuring to those whose lives were lost in the pursuit of a higher cause than their own selfish wants.

Photobucket


Photobucket





Photobucket


Looking at the flowers and ornaments beside the tombs, you can see how dearly these people meant to their families and friends. At the point of death, the deceased is released unto the heavens where only relief and joy are found. Yet, death continues to haunt the family and friends of those who are claimed by it for years without number.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



In the midst of life, we are in death. What a beautiful way to describe our fragile lives, beyond the false security of life expectancy, good health, our achievements and our dreams. You could be having the best time of your life today and before you know it, be gone tomorrow.

You could be in the pink of health today and end up a deteoriating shell the next day. Who can haggle with God to take one more breath than what He wills for him? From the perspective of death, life seems so much more appealing.

In life, though we trudge on wearily, riddled by the pains that accompany our entry into this suffering world, at least we have a chance to live out a fulfilling life. I often wonder if the dead lying in their tombs hoped for a prolongment of wretched existence in exchange for living out their lives in full.

Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket




If it was up to me, I would have the epitaph of my tomb be written as 'faerieuni.blogspot.com'. My last wish is to tell my life story and show what kind of person I was when I was alive to whoever's interested to find out.

After all, I have unabashedly poured out my innermost thoughts, feelings, insecurities and fears on this blog. It is the fruit of my soul and spirit, the record of my triumphs and mistakes and a reminder of both good and bad times I have gone through. I could never delete or change my blog because it shows the transformation I have gone through, from glory to glory.

No comments:

skeletons in my closet