Journey with Jesus

Loud. Fun-loving. Punny.
Sporty. Pessimistic introvert.
Pop music lover. Guitar-wielding songwriter.
Bubbles and Faerie Uni fan.
Loves the colour red.
Fussy eater. Biography reader.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Recent Events

These past four months have been a blast, with me working full-time and studying part-time simultaneously. For the first time in my life, I did not feel crippled and victimized by the education system. I just could not stand being a full-time student again, with my competence measured merely by academic merit alone.

There were times when it was tremendously stressful but it felt really good and satisfying after I faced my fears head-on, attending night classes and swatting 2,000-word assignments like they were flies(okay, it was more like slaying dragonflies with an inadequate swatter). I basically spent my weekends at home to complete my unit readings and rush essays and reports.

I know it’s mad but I’m falling in love with the exhilaration of having too many things happen at once. I know now how it feels like to be a stressball and I have learnt a lesson from it as well. I realized that a stressball seeks to pass on this attitude through its own exemplary reaction to stress - “Smile even when you're being squeezed.”

Lastly, my final exams were as breezy as a hurricane and I have had so much fun this month. I’m in love with my work, school, photography, music and writing. I've come to a point in my life where I ask myself, "Why is life so freaking fun and enjoyable?"

1. Leonids Meteor Storm

Photobucket

I went to Japanese Garden in the wee hours to witness the Leonids meteor storm. It’s a really beautiful place, especially at night. Its wide lake was like a huge mirror reflecting the surrounding vegetation and brownish orange sky above.

Photobucket

I think more than 2,000 people must have attended the event that night. The Teletubby hills of Japanese Garden became a temporary squatter, accommodating adults and children sitting on mats. We enjoyed the movies “Armageddon” and “Deep Impact” showing on a large screen while waiting for the space fragments to enter the atmosphere.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And when they did appear, it happened for less than half a second. You’d hear a squeal in unison from the crowd but when you looked up, the asteroid had already been vaporized. So I laid down and put myself on watch duty, determined not to miss another sighting.

Photobucket

(On falling asteroid watch duty -Do not disturb)

Photobucket

(My little cousin)

I was sufficiently rewarded when I saw this huge asteroid fly across a large expanse of sky for 15 seconds, leaving behind a trail of smoky vapour. After that rare and magnificent sighting, I, the uninspired astronomer, headed home satisfied.

2. Dance Performance

Photobucket

(The Cast of Identity)

I went to an acquaintance’s graduation dance performance, held at NUS’s University Cultural Centre. It was really cool taking pictures of the performance as it was hard to shoot fast-moving subjects in low light. You really have to watch that window(viewfinder) of opportunity because you'll never get to take the same picture twice.

Photobucket

(Alyssa's solo)

Photobucket

(Dance of frustration)

Photobucket

(The glory of ballet)


Nevertheless, the UCC’s lighting system is fabulous and I managed to take back artistic pieces of the awesome dance routines I saw and experienced that night. Due to the long exposure, the dancers’ movements were captured in surreal colours.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3. Work

Photobucket

(The lovely tranquil path I take to go to work and go home everyday)

Photobucket

(The long flight of steps I climb at least 6 times a day)

Work has been really enjoyable, in the presence of a respectful office culture, nice colleagues and little office politics. Being a small agency, we’re rather close knit and the hierarchy is loosely defined. My boss is a really nice English lady who buys me Starbucks coffee now and then.

Photobucket

(My awesome colleagues)

And when the first half of your workday involves reading newspapers, how could anyone on Earth complain? And they seem to agree that when you have no time to check your FaceBook page during office hours, you're probably doing too much work. Besides that, the sports and consumer events I go to are really fun.

Photobucket

(In the mood for Christmas)

For the sports side, I attended this international swimming championship and got to photograph the action from areas accessible only by a select few. I never loved the sport till I saw it live and the sheer athleticism of swimmers must be applauded. I never knew humans could swim so fast.

Photobucket

Photobucket

(It's all about reaction time)

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

(Joy at setting a world record, with a supersuit)

Photobucket

(Sharks in a pool)

Photobucket

(Taking the leap of faith)

Photobucket

(Yakult Man)

Photobucket

(Racing to gain that additional hundredth of a second)

Photobucket

(Starting position for the backstroke)

Photobucket

(Off they go)

I also went to this jewelry brand’s fashion show. At these consumer events, you get to enjoy great delicacies fit for the pickiest connoisseurs and a free flow of alcoholic beverages like champagne or martinis. If they serve any more alcoholic beverages at work events, I am so gonna turn into an alcoholic workaholic.

Photobucket

(For the punk chick with attitude)

I had loads of fun trying my hand at fashion photography as the models strutted down the runway.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(Wrapping paper girl)

Photobucket

(Young Susan Boyle)

Photobucket

(I bet she used to be a Crescent Girl)

Photobucket

(Sleepy eyes dozing on the job)

Photobucket

(I wonder who taught her to give such sleepy facial expressions)

I also got the opportunity to see socialites and celebrities trot down the imaginary red carpet, decked in designer dresses and carrying luxury brands on their tiny weeny arms. I actually saw Denise Keller at the event and mustered up the courage to ask her for a photograph. Had I been bolder, I would have probably gotten a picture taken with her.

Photobucket

(Denise looks AWESOME)

Photobucket

(Paparazzi-in-training)

Besides this, I get to interact with cool cats from the industry. This French girl actually chatted me up, unlike some local girls who shrug you off or are aloof even when you take the first step to make conversation.

French girls have an overpowering sexiness, from their accent and the way they speak to their hand gestures and body language. Gosh, I am so falling for girls of other nationalities.

4. Elite and DMC

Photobucket

(Elite Communications and new members)

My polytechnic mates and I finally met up after 3 long years, as one of our beloved classmates was migrating to Canada. It was good catching up them and reminiscing the good old days. It was just 2 hours of unpretentious, hearty and nonsensical chit chat.

Photobucket

5. OOOM





I went for Originals Only Open Mike at Singapore Art Museum this month again, excited to belt out my new songs after my recent breakthrough in songwriting. The gift of music is one of the greatest gifts a man can have. Likewise, a perfect muse is a songwriter’s greatest gift.

After I met this wonderful girl, my whole life changed even though nothing happened between us. That’s the power of one-sided love – you take a part of that person with you to the grave and are forever changed by a moment shared between two people.

I never used to be able to write authentic love songs because I never really found someone that deserving of lyrical worship. Now, I have, and hopefully I will go on writing new pieces inspired by this new muse.

6. CDS

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

(The big motorised net used to catch loads of fish at one time)

Photobucket

(The fish we could have caught)

Photobucket

(Horny dog who kept dry-humping my leg)

I stayed overnight at a kelong with my Batch 14 mates and all I felt was irony. Because irony is what you feel when you stay at a kelong all night and caught no fish. But the scenery was beautiful and the atmosphere calm and peaceful for a nice chat and chilling out. Not to mention, I took awesome pictures.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

(And this was taken at Sembawang Yacht Club)

Photobucket


I also crashed Jin Hao's 21st birthday. We actually bought a stormtrooper mask for his birthday gift to satisfy whatever weird bedroom fetishes he might have.

Photobucket

(Check out my rainbow shoes)

Photobucket

Photobucket

(Stormtrooper fanboys)

1 comment:

Kyo said...

Xup man, do you still visit ru xiang's blog? or have you forgotten her already?

skeletons in my closet