Stuff in Taiwan that Bewilder Me
1. How shop employees all say 'Huan Ying Guang Ling(Welcome)' in the same tone, no matter which part of Taiwan you go to. They greet every customer with such robotic enthusiasm I would kill myself if I had to do their job. If I got $1 as a mystery shopper every time they greet me when I enter the store, I would be a freaking millionaire before I turn 25.
2. How hard it is to locate toilets and why they are so few in number. They are usually found in Starbucks, KFC, Macdonald's outlets or some nook in a long forgotten alley with no directional signs.
3. How you don't flush the toilet paper you use to wipe your ass down the toilet bowl. You throw it in a bin because the narrow water pipes might get choked. A female friend described to me how you could find toilet paper of all colours in the bin of a female toilet.
4. How hard it is to locate dustbins, why they are so few in number and how to separate your trash into recyclable and non-recyclable items. Let's see, I've just finished my fast food meal and have plenty of time to spare. Let's ponder about the pressing issue of what's recyclable and what's not? Do I put the straw here, the paper cup there, the plastic lid here and the napkins there?
5. How Macdonald's restaurants in Taiwan don't serve chilli sauce. Or how Starbucks, Macdonald's and KFC have 4-storey buildings of their own.
6. How Taiwanese food is always fried, always oily, always sweet and always filling? I got so disgusted of eating I felt like a pig and that anorexia or bulimia isn't such a bad thing after all. What wisdom the guy who coined the expression 'glutton for punishment' had.
7. What is that awesome flavour of 'Tai Yang Bing(Sun Biscuits)' that I fail to taste and appreciate? They taste like butter, I hate butter and I don't understand why people are crazy over butter.
8. How tolerant and empathetic they are of the homeless. They are allowed to sleep wherever they want; bus stations, MRT stations and underground malls. Maybe we should take a cue from them.
8. How Taiwanese seem to disregard brand consciousness as being fashionable. They wear whatever they want and do their own thing, That's the quality that makes Taiwanese girls beautiful. Just as no two snowflakes are the same, you can feel it snowing hard in the Taiwan fashion scene. Singaporean girls seem to wait for some fashion revolutionary to come up with the latest, standard and accepted look that complies with MOF(Ministry of Fashion) standards and regulations. Don't we all like to jump on the bandwagon of popularity?
9. How people perceive Taiwanese people to be very friendly? They are colder than Mount Everest and I feel Singaporeans are more outspoken and more likely to have a conversation with strangers.
7 Ways of Sleeping When You're Homeless(Or dormless because you bought the wrong air ticket)
1. The Benchwarmer
2. The Photogenic Drunk
3. Sleeping Next to an Emergency Exit
4. The Slouch Straightener
5. Trolley Boy Position 1
6. Trolley Boy Position 2
3. Trolley Boy Position 3
Self Portraits of Zillian Wo Zi Lian
1. The "I'm so cool I can wear a thick jacket" look
2. The "I know you're gonna take a shot of me eating so I am slowing down for your slow fingers to click that damn button' pose
3. The Ballet Leg Sweep Stage 1
4. The Ballet Leg Sweep Stage 2
5. The Ballet Leg Sweep Final Stage
QUOTE OF THE TRIP - Nobody likes to feel like a tourist.
Journey with Jesus
Loud. Fun-loving. Punny.
Sporty. Pessimistic introvert.
Pop music lover. Guitar-wielding songwriter.
Bubbles and Faerie Uni fan.
Loves the colour red.
Fussy eater. Biography reader.












No comments:
Post a Comment