Journey with Jesus

Loud. Fun-loving. Punny.
Sporty. Pessimistic introvert.
Pop music lover. Guitar-wielding songwriter.
Bubbles and Faerie Uni fan.
Loves the colour red.
Fussy eater. Biography reader.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Pieces of My Mind #4

1. Observations on the MRT - I'm amazed by people who can bear such loud music that it seems like they're wearing an entire surround sound audio system on their tiny ears.

2. Artistic Emo Thought - I like it when the cool damp breeze of a rainy day brushes against my skin as I stand under shelter. The idea of hearing the pitter patter without getting battered by the rain intrigues me. One day, I'm gonna just stand out in the rain with an umbrella.

3. ALCOHOL! - My new favourite alcohol is Bailey's Chocolate Mint. It tastes like a cross between rum and hazelnut-infused coffee. It is so awesome when it is mixed with rocky road or rum and raisin ice cream. I'm this close to coming up with my own Starbucks Alcoholic Ice Blended Drink but I'm afraid I won't even be able to spell hangover after gulping it down.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my other friend, Absolut Apeach. You know the feeling you get when you don't know how to make antiseptic ethanol taste better? That's exactly how I'm feeling now.

4. T.G.I.F - So far, I've worked long enough to thank God for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays twice. I never fully understood the universal significance of shouting T.G.I.F with abandoned glee at 5:30pm on a Friday until now. It's been a pretty hectic work week doing media monitoring.

To give you an idea of why media monitoring is so hard, imagine this. It's an early morning and you're scanning through Lianhe Zaobao. You're only looking for the 3 letters B.B.C and you are so screwed if you miss any article about them.

Or imagine this, the Asian Youth Games is going on and you just so happen to have them as a client. Every day, you translate the headlines and write a summary for every article/listing about AYG. There happens to be at least 7 articles every single day.

After tearing the papers out, you scan them with the photocopier and send the images to your email. You crop the scanned images and save them under a long title in some folder hidden deep in the directory.

The papers have never got more attention from me than now. My eyes are swimming every day in a sea of chinese words. But I realised no other job pays you for reading the newspapers in the morning.

I have always felt that I am not cut out for the Mass Communications industry. Their imaginative ideas and outspokeness intimidates the hell out of me. I''ve led a life too sheltered to have any good ideas and I stutter and mutter like there's butter in my mouth.

But I've long decided to stick to this industry and to try my best at this job. And if I tried, failed and know for sure this job's not suited for me, there're always other avenues of work for me. I just don't want to quit before I started working; to have lost before I fought a battle.

I have gained a lot of confidence from my service in the Navy. Taking myself seriously first so that I will be taken seriously by others. To expect great things from myself; knowing that I am smart and capable enough to learn to do all things well.

I just have to learn to be a little less anxious, a tad more serious and drop tons of creative bombs.

5. Aspirations - My dream has always been to become a singer-songwriter. Do you know what's the only thing that's stopping me from pursuing a career in that? Well, the odd answer is, I'm not blind yet. I just feel like I owe so much to my parents, my education and my brain to tread on this uncertain path.

If I turn blind from some accident, it would actually be a blessing in disguise. I don't mind sitting and singing at some MRT underpass. People will show me grace for my amateur singing and playing skills due to my disability. And I can do what I love and work at improving my vocal abilities. I admire the lives of my music teachers who are teaching and gigging everyday of their life away. What a glorious way to spend your life.

On an oddly related note, my bassist just got quarantined yesterday after his classmate got infected by the H1N1 virus. I never realised what an important part the bassist plays in a band. It was like the air suddenly died, along with the song. The off-pitch vocalist, which happens to be me, can't seem to get his groove and the lyrics don't sink and blend in that well with the song.

The noisy electric guitars are in treble trouble, with their empty notes hanging alone in the air and no bass to get them grounded. The drums are off-tempo, clearly longing for his friend to lead the way. I hereby wish to nominate the bassist as the MVP of the band.

6. Music Spinning In My Head

Ashes by Embrace give me The Cranberries 'Dreams" feel that I like very much.

Nerina Pallot has me spellbound with Sophia, along with Idaho and Learning To Breathe.

Her Diamonds by Rob Thomas is such an amazingly truthful and heartfelt song about sharing the pain of a loved one.

Pink changes her style and shows off her vocal ability with Sober, Who Knew and Please Don't Leave Me.

Priscilla Ahn never feels to put me in peace with Lullaby, Dream, Rain, Are We Different and A Good Day.







7. Becky's Birthday Celebration Photo.


No comments:

skeletons in my closet