Journey with Jesus

Loud. Fun-loving. Punny.
Sporty. Pessimistic introvert.
Pop music lover. Guitar-wielding songwriter.
Bubbles and Faerie Uni fan.
Loves the colour red.
Fussy eater. Biography reader.

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Love, Life and Vanity

About two weeks ago, I saw the daughter of my Senior Pastor in town. She was more ravishing than I had remembered her to be. She literally stole my breath away. I've had a crush on her since like 6 years ago. The first and only word I could utter for quite some time was 'Wow'.

Just so you know, I am no Casanovic Don Juan. I just fall headfirst into love too rashly when girls reminiscent of my Eve pop up. There's some characteristics not physical that I like about a woman. I particularly like girls who went to an all-girls school and a junior college.

They just seem to be be brought up well and they're always wearing that cheerful, sweet and cute spunk around them. They appear to have never experienced sadness before, as if they are the source of happiness itself.

There's this hot and cute female intern working with me but I look upon her as a friend and sister. She's the type that most boys like - confident, sporty, cheerful, outgoing and outspoken. But she's just not my cup of tea.

I realised that the Eve I am looking for is a plain Jane to lead a simple life with. The girl codenamed 'Sweet Ann' showed me how someone so seemingly ordinary could be so utterly refined and humble at the same time.

Unlike people who build up a wall of pretense to seem superior, she personified my belief that putting on airs is like carrying empty weight and an unnecessary burden. Yet when I was confronted with her character and stature, I found myself lacking. For the first time in my life, I realised how important status was and yearned to be more qualified to hold the hand of someone like her.

In a tale of forbidden love, I was the protagonist who was caught in endless internal struggles to prove myself worthy. Just like many other lovelorn people who have pledged to change for the person they've marked as their other half. Should we give up a love that fate itself seems to disapprove? Even when we know that love denied brings much brokeness to a human heart.

Since the inception of these strong emotions I've had been feeling, I learned why equality is so important. Equal opportunities and equal treatment for all races, religions and other groups, however small a group they are.

Sometimes I wish that I was raised up the son of a pastor, a politician or a chief executive officer. But then again, I like being in the shoes of the ordinary; to feel and think like they do. I just feel so connected to everyday people; it's as if I can see through their eyes and can hear their every sigh of complaint. The heartbeat of the city is loud enough to be heard if you only listen closely.

Humanity's finest message is shown through ordinary folk who never settle for mediocrity, never stop being themselves and never ever give up. People who say, "Yes, I'm lousier than other people. But if I can't be the best, I must be the best I can be." People who struggle to make ends meet and to give to the next generation what they themselves could not have.

What comes to your mind when you see hoardes of people queueing up to buy lottery tickets? Some see incorrigible and greedy gamblers. I see ordinary folk desperate to break out of the vicious cycle of being and feeling poorer and worser off than others. They're trying to buy hope and gain a better quality of life. While this hope is not certain, it's the closest thing that is on offer.

Yet, is this not the clearest display of the vanity of the human race? Of our selfish desires to own material wealth and gain respect and prestige rather than to provide for less fortunate peoples around the globe. Vanity will kill us one day in the form of global warming. Yet, isn't progress and improvement something God has set in the hearts of men?

The delicate balance of progress and charity has to be attained if we are to live comfortable and guilt-free lives. Find a way to give back to those who are less fortunate than you are. Because in giving, it is when you receive the greatest joy of all. A joy that supersedes the ephemeral happiness brought by wealth, material comfort and prestige.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity. I truly understood Solomon's words when I saw an elderly ex-gang member the other day. With his arms tattooed with the gang's insignia, the old man walked with wobbly and feeble legs, assisted by his domestic helper. I wonder if his mind is filled with regrets, what-ifs and guilt.

When our hair starts greying and wrinkles begin to form, we will find ourselves a shadow of glory past and a ghost of youthful vitality, no matter how successful we were in our prime. Our past thoughts and deeds will appear to be childish and insignificant in the light of aged wisdom.

We were born equals and we will die equals. We came out of our mothers' wombs bare and naked. We'll leave this world the same way; utterly alone with nothing to carry across to the afterlife. Love people while you can, before the chance is taken away from you.

Bedridden Love

Lying lazily on the sheets
I found beauty in your two feet
The sound of your breath stirs the air
Takes away every thought and every care

Planting kisses upon your bare neck
Eagerly waiting for love to bloom
Lips trembling and pursed around mine
You give me a taste of heaven

I feel the tiny beat of your heart
And the soft suppleness of your chest
As your gentle arms spread their warmth
Around me like an angel's wings



1 comment:

Walter said...

You will be loved.

skeletons in my closet